Wolfgang Kubach b. 9 January 1936; d. 24 April 2007 (D)
Anna Kubach-Wilmsen b. 13 January 1937 in Appeldorn (NL)
|1959-1965||Studied together at the Academy of Fine Arts, Munich|
|1965||The couple acquired the old church in Hackenheim as a studio|
|from 1968||They lived and worked as a stone sculpture team in Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg|
|1998||They founded the Fondation Kubach-Wilmsen to create a museum for stone sculpture to designs by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando and a stone sculpture park at the foot of the Rotenfels in Bad Münster am Stein; the museum opened on 14 August 2010.|
From 1976, "stone books" became the dominant form employed by the two sculptors. An extensive stone library consisting of 316 stone books (1983) was installed in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris. Perhaps their most important work is the granite library La Storia della Terra, which was first shown in 1992 at an exhibition in Rome's Villa Massimo. Today, towers of stone books in around 50 different types of marble and granite from all five continents are part of the collections of famous museums.